Costner & Greene
Call Today for the Answers You Deserve
865-238-4710 | 877-381-6564
Responsive, Experienced & Professional
View All Practice Areas

Maryville Tennessee Legal Blog

Why should you consider creating a living will?

There are a lot of details to work out when it is time to consider plans for the end of life. Many people put off this task because it's difficult to think about. One way to approach the issue is to consider one's own preferences when dealing with the end of life. Often, a living will is a key element in an estate plan.

What is a living will?

Tennessee pharmacy investigation may lead to criminal charges

Tennessee, along with many other states in the region, is facing a crisis. While many social and economic problems divide along class or geographic lines, the matter of drug abuse is almost universal. And a pair of pharmacies in north central Tennessee may be providing more than their share of the problem.

Clay County, home to around 8,000 people, dispenses opioid prescriptions at a rate high enough to provide sufficient pain killers to everyone in the county twice. That is more than three time the national average. Only ten other counties in the United States dispense as many opioids. Federal investigators suspect two of the county's five pharmacies are honoring prescription they should not.

Did your home inspector miss something important?

Whether you are a first-time homebuyer or have owned several houses in your lifetime, you want the purchase of your new home to be a pleasant experience. Few things are more frustrating than buying a home only to discover it needs extensive work. By collaborating with a qualified home inspector, you likely increase your odds of making a smart investment. 

There are many good reasons to hire a home inspector before purchasing a piece of property. While choosing the right inspector is critical, you probably cannot guarantee the individual finds every problem with your new home. If your inspector misses something important, though, you may have some legal options for protecting your interests.   

Nashville builds center for victims of domestic violence

A lot of violence comes from a place of intimate emotions. A study shows that more than one in three women and more than one in four men have experienced domestic violence in the form of stalking, physical assault or sexual assault from an intimate partner. Tennessee itself has one of the highest rates in the nation of female fatalities at the hands of a partner.

Some municipalities in the Volunteer State have put in the effort to improve the lives of domestic violence victims and prevent future incidents. For example, Nashville recently opened the Family Safety Center, a complex where children can play in a protected environment and adult victims could get the resources they need.

Tennessee may be at the forefront of fighting bad drug ads

Tennessee has accessible laws allowing people to sue others who were responsible for injuries they sustained. This is often straightforward if the victim of an injury can prove negligence or other liability to the satisfaction of a judge or jury. This can be a trickier matter if it takes some connections from the liable party and the injured party.

Physicians in Tennessee are concerned that some advertisements for drugs and other medical interventions may be misleading patients to the point of causing pain and debilitation. As a result, the Volunteer State may find itself as the standard bearer for a nationwide push for truth in advertising from the industry creating them.

What laws protect Tennesseans' homes?

The prospect of unmanageable debt is always scary. Some people have lost their life savings and even family fortunes to bad business deals or excessive lifestyles. But Tennesseans should not be afraid of losing their homes in a debt settlement or bankruptcy proceeding, because the Volunteer State is one of several that has homestead laws.

What is the homestead law?

Is estate planning an investment in the future?

Estate planning is a difficult subject to introduce at the table, especially for children. It is natural to wonder how children will handle the estate of parents after their lives or during a time of mental incapacity. It is also important because a good estate plan when someone can make one is an investment for a time when others will have to make decisions.

How is estate planning an investment?

DUI in a rental car

All it takes is one mistake to get a DUI. Former Colorado Rockies first baseman Todd Helton received a citation for driving while under the influence of alcohol. He received orders to enter a treatment program, which he has complied with. 

There are severe consequences on the line if the police arrest you for driving while drunk. However, what happens when you get a DUI while operating a rental car? The truth of the matter is that much of the process will remain the same. It will impact your ability to rent a car in the future, so you could face more consequences on top of the legal ones you will have to contend with. 

How can assault not involve violence?

Anyone who has survived a Tennessee summer may have felt assaulted by heat, insects and humidity. Although no one can file charges against the weather, anyone in Tennessee may file charges against someone who assaulted them, even if no physical violence came to pass.

What is assault in Tennessee law?

Proposed law would change child custody cases in Tennessee

Family law is a lot like some families. It is large, complicated and changes with the times. No one ever gets married or has children expecting to have to fight over them, but emotions and preferences can get stretched if a family has to work out where children live and how they are raised with separate parents.

Of course, the people who suffer the most in these dealings are children, who can feel pitted against parents and subject to decisions they cannot understand or control. This is one of the reasons that family court judges in Tennessee and other states have the mandate to decide what is best for the child in question.

When you need legal help, we are here for you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Request Legal Help Now

315 High Street Maryville, TN 37804 Toll Free: 877-381-6564 Phone: 865-238-4710 Maryville Law Office Map